If you’re looking for the online properties of the town government of West Orange, New Jersey, here they are:
Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
If you’re looking for the West Orange forum I started, it’s here.
There are more links to a lot more things, official and unofficial, below the cease-and-desist stuff.
Here is the Cease-and-Desist letter the town sent me.
Now, a couple of points:
- No, this is not the official web site of West Orange, New Jersey.
- Nor is it the official or unofficial web site of the West Oranges of FL, TX, or CA. Nothing against those guys — just not what I’m here for.
- I’m not putting up advertising. This kerfuffle isn’t about money, and my traffic will slow to its normal bucolic pace in a few days, so there’s no need to put up ads.
- Yes, my design is — how do you say it in your country? — minimalist. I didn’t even get a chance to change the default template on WordPress before I got the C&D. And you guys are totally crushing my bandwidth (thank you!), so it probably won’t change for a while; I can barely post these comments reliably, much less make template changes.
- You seriously should try Terra Luna‘s pizza when you’re in town. And garlic knots. And… well, pretty much anything you can get. Tell Jim that Jake sent you.
- Yes, Steve Kaplitt is my hero, too.
So despite the ridiculous circumstances, we’re glad you heard of us. Again, welcome.
P.S. I’m not allowing swear words in the comments. If you wouldn’t say it to my five-year-old, it’s not getting published. Thanks for understanding.
And now we return to your regularly scheduled programming….
Heard about the forum?
Heard about the cease-and-desist letter?
I got a Cease-and-desist letter on behalf of the town, demanding that I stop owning or using the westorange.info domain.
Other places to talk
West Orange Watercooler: a moderated email group for all of West Orange.
West Orange Local Forum: A lightly moderated forum on localforums.org, created and moderated by resident Jake Freivald, who also created this site.
Gregory Neighborhood List: a lightly moderated email group for people who live in the Gregory, Rock Spring, or Saint Cloud areas.
@westorangenj: Unofficial West Orange Twitter Handle run by citizen Jake Freivald.
I took down the link to the “positive-only” Facebook group by the person who claims I was bullying her. She wasn’t telling the truth about the situation, and was trying to use that link to say that I’m a big meanie, and I simply don’t feel like having the high-school-level drama swirling around it.
Places to get news
West Orange Grassroots: A government-oriented site started by Councilman Joe Krakoviak.
Baristanet: “hyperlocal blogging” and “online citizen journalism”.
West Orange Patch: Part of the AOL conglomerate.
West Orange on nj.com: West Orange articles that made it into the Star-Ledger or other major press.
The Alternative Press of West Orange: Read the second half of this article, and consider yourself warned.
Essex News Daily: Formerly the West Orange Chronicle.
West Orange municipal Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Town Council agendas and videos
West Orange municipal ordinances at ClerkBase
Board of Education
Property Tax Search by name or address
Tax tables, including levies and breakdowns (county vs. municipal vs. education taxes), for all towns in New Jersey
Essex County government
Essex County Property Tax Data
NJ State Education Data
NJ State Statutes
Other Good West Orange-related Stuff
More to come.